Leap of Kindness Day - Feb 29!
- February 1, 2024 at 10:09 AM
- by Jennifer Pauly
Upward Niagara Chamber of Commerce to participate in
Leap of Kindness Day 2024
Global initiative encourages one and all to do something kind with their extra day
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – 2024 is a Leap Year, and this means we all get one extra day on Thursday, February 29, 2024 - Leap of Kindness Day.
Leap of Kindness Day aims to inspire folks all around the world to use their extra day to do something kind for someone else.
Invented in 2016 by the Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce, in Saratoga Springs, New York Leap of Kindness Day started with hundreds of area organizations helping thousands of local people by donating their time, talent and treasure to support area nonprofits, seniors, first responders, health care workers, veterans, animal shelters, etc.
In 2020, the initiative expanded with more than 200 communities in the U.S., Canada, and Ireland participating in Leap of Kindness Day. Some of the Leap of Kindness Day activities included: delivering breakfast to first responders, bringing flowers or non-skid socks to nursing homes, collecting personal care items for shelters, cleaning up trails and baking cookies for school bus drivers.
For 2024, the goal is to continue growing Leap of Kindness Day into a global celebration of kindness with a powerful positive impact.
The Upward Niagara Chamber of Commerce has pledged to participate in Leap of Kindness Day by showcasing the needs of our local non-profit organizations and pairing them with people who can help!
Chamber President Jennifer Pauly and the Chamber staff believe this day brings the community together. Jennifer serves as Chairwoman of the WNY Chamber Alliance and has encouraged other Chambers throughout Western New York to get behind the special day. “February 29th comes around every four years and what better way to celebrate is there than helping others! We thrive on connecting organizations and businesses with the community and this is a perfect way to show kindness and serve.”
The Upward Niagara Chamber of Commerce hopes to inspire others in the community to be a part of Leap of Kindness Day as well.
Here are some ideas of ways to participate in Leap of Kindness Day 2024.
1. Organize a drive for essential items and personally deliver the collected goods to a local charity on February 29.
2. Express gratitude to first responders by delivering meals or snacks to your local fire, police, or EMS station on Leap of Kindness Day.
3. Dedicate February 29th to enhancing a public space — a park, trail, or playground — by cleaning, beautifying, or fixing amenities in need.
4. Encourage your children to write and deliver heartfelt thank-you notes to educators, custodians, bus drivers, and others on February 29th.
5. Reach out to local care facilities, hospitals, senior or youth centers, and agencies assisting those with unique needs. Collect and deliver items tailored to their specific requirements on Leap of Kindness Day.
Participants are urged to share their plans for Leap of Kindness Day here.